<Globaldust Fan Locations for Mickey Rourke Monday, May 02, 2005

To my brotha's and sista's with some sense: DOES THAT MEAN I'M NOT BLACK.

DOES THAT MEAN I'M NOT BLACK ? By Reginald Jackson


I grew up in the ghettos and the slums of St. Louis, Missouri, I vowed early on in my life that my background would not define me I swore if I got out of the "hood" I was never going back Because I choose not to return, does that mean that I'm not black?


I spoke proper English, got straight A's in school, Because of that I was ridiculed and told I wasn't cool Is ignorance our only measure, I hope that's not a fact, Because I'm educated, does that mean I'm not black?


I teach my sons the value of education and doing well in school, I'd hate to think that one of mine was known as the neighborhood fool I ride them hard about their grades and don't cut them any slack, Because I want them to be smart and successful does that mean that I'm not black?


If I go to a nightclub and a brother steps on my shoe, Is punching that man in the face the thing I should do If I choose to forgive him and not create some flack, Does my understanding and compassion mean that I'm not black? Black people spend a lot of time focusing on material things, Fancy cars, expensive clothes, and flashy diamond rings I don't wear baggy clothes or wear my hat turned to the back, And just because I don't do so, does that mean that I'm not black?


I grew up when Rap music was about entertainment and fun, But now all Rap music seems to be about is bitches, drugs, and guns I choose not to buy into that, because I think its whack, But because I don't like gangster Rap does that mean I'm not black?


We don't respect anything, don't respect anyone else, It seems to me that being black these days is all about yourself There's nothing wrong with loving who you are and all the things you do, But I was taught to respect myself, and to respect other people too, We walk around all angry with bad attitudes, It seems to me being black these days is all about being rude. I'm not dissin' or hatin', I'm just simply stating the facts, But because I do not hate the world does that mean I'm not black?


My brothers and sisters all brag about being gangstas and thugs, All of our movies and music glamorize violence, crime, and drugs But I refuse to reinforce our negative stereotypes, I want my life to represent more than just bullshit and hype When I hear the phrase "ghetto fabulous" I think what's up with that shit, I grew up in the ghetto and there was nothing fabulous about it!

The ghetto ain't filled with nothing but poverty, dirt, and squalor, I'm a tell y'all like Marvin Gaye said, it makes me wanna holler!But all B-S aside, I'm trying to keep it real, I love my black people, that's just how I feel So no matter what I've said tonight, I hope you've got my back 'Cause in the immortal words of Run DMC, I'm proud to be black!__________________________________________

"A man will never put forth all his energies, if he lacks something outside himself to draw upon" - Unknown

"To love someone deeply gives you strength, being loved by someone gives you courage" - Lao Tzu
~~~~~~~~~~Pamela~~~~~~~~~~~
sat down to play at 4:10 PM

2 Comments:

Hey, hehe, I knew about the links, and I've tried them.. it's just that I found it somehow funny...

Well, I'll check out more deeply all of those links you told me.. but I think that'll be as soon as I get at home the internet back..

Oh, and the mail was sent by blogger, not by me.. it's supposed to do so every time that someone posts on your blog.. :P
It's just that I don't feel too comfortable when people think I did something that I did not (even if it's good)

By Blogger Shadow Walker, at 7:12 AM  

Thank you for your post.

My name is Raya and I'm 16. When I was seven I, too, was ridiculed for using proper English and being well educated. Thus "being white."

It's a shame. It seems that being black isn't a nown anymore. It's becoming more of a verb to describe ignorance. I have a faint hope that it'll change.

Here's my blog.

I'd love it if you could send me a message.

-Raya

By Blogger raya, at 5:57 PM  

Post a Comment










ABOUT ME



name: Pamela

age: 57

profile: 6071684

comments: SPEAK TO ME

Video code provided by MusicVideoCodes.com




MY Children's SITES

Gil's Design
LaShane's Creations
Cherokee's Book Group

Plush Cafe

COOL BLOGS

Cherokee's Blog
LaShane's Blog


ARCHIVES

~~~SCRIPTURES~~~

ISAIAH 55:6

JOHN 3:16

MATTHEW 22:14

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com