<Globaldust Fan Locations for Mickey Rourke Monday, March 07, 2005

Today is sunday, you know what that means? Old Mickey Mouse Club song memory. Oh, how I used to race home after school to watch that show. Annette, Bobby, Cubby and Karen, Sharon, and whoever the heck else!!! Just one of many happy childhood memories. MaryJo, (who is my son-in-law's mother) and I were at the going away party for him, and we sat there together, lost on memory lane, talking about the shows we loved as kids, and I had to admit, I loved the Lawrence Welk show! Well, I was only a child, and there were no "Jefferson's", on back then. Smile. MaryJo mentioned that she had taken a report of a break-in of a motor home from, Norma Zimmer, the original, "Champagne Lady", from that show. MaryJo is a dispatcher for the Sheriff's department, here in Southern CA., so that way she hears alot of stuff other people wouldn't be privy to. By the way, no, she doesn't usually tell me much about the people they service, but just this once, it was of interest to the both of us. One of the younger people, a friend of Garth's, mentioned how funny he thought Jerry Stiller was on "The King of Queens", which I have seen on a couple of occasions, and think yes, he is funny. Someone else said, "I think that he was really funny as Mr. Costanza on, "Seinfeld". Then both MaryJo and I said, "I remember when he and Anne Meara used to do everything together". When they were a comedy team. None of them, but Cherokee, (and well, all three of my children), even knew who Jerry's wife was! I remember my own Mother saying, "yeah, it's just like, Abie's Irish Rose". This statement went over my head, but it stuck in my mind, 'cause she said it every time they came on the Ed Sullivan show! Mamma said, "well, maybe Anne is a relative, Sullivan sounds Irish to me".
She wasn't a bigot, but my Mamma always noticed people's nationality, and didn't mind commenting on it. As MaryJo and I continued this journey down memory lane, we started mentioning how much we liked this actor or that actor. (Male and Female). I grew up fascinated by cowboys, and John Wayne, much to my Mother's consternation because, besides being NEGRO, (this was way back in the late 50s, and the early 60s you must understand), we had a large percentage of Native American blood in our ancestral heritage, which back then was just plain ol' Indian! She would tell us, "if a White person comes to the door, don't speak to them, just come and get me". No questions asked, none answered. Mamma didn't like to mention that many of her relatives could "pass", having been from "somewhere", (it was actually Cartersville), in Georgia, where the whites (male), mixed freely with the negros (women), and their offspring were the mulattos, who were eventually "run out", of their home town, and settled here to become my great-grandparents. We heard the story enough, that it didn't mean a thing to us.
I wondered, though, several timesover the years, at the weddings (of the majority) of our married children, my brother's and sister's and my own children's weddings, when they picked white, mexican, and even asian, spouses, what would she have said? I imagine I can hear her now, "oh well, it happens in the best regulated families". She was fond of that saying. Smile. Now, that I am over all of that, "I'm Black and I'm proud" stuff of the early 60s, I could care less who marries whom. I love my grandkids as much with their melting pot of heritages, as I would if they had of been only of one heritage, which with our situation, would have been impossible, anyway. We're Americans, so we are full-blooded that! It is interesting to note, though, that MaryJo besides having these bi-racial grandchildren in common with me, she has another grandson, who happens to be a "Quadroon", since his mother is only considered half- black, due to the fact that her own Mother is white, and her Father, black. Whatever she, and her husband's nationality, is, her four kids, all multi-racial mind you, are beautiful!!!
I find these classifications of race so interesting. Since, each and everyone of us, that are actually born right here on these American soils are so unique, and diverse. I read years and years ago, in Ebony magazine, as a matter of fact, that nearly 86% of the white population in the United States have at least one black ancestors, I don't know where they got their statistics, but I am confident enough that I do remember reading that at one point in time, that I will post it here on an open blog! Smile. Boy, I am BOLD. What? Heck, now in the 2000s, the percentage may be a lot higher. I think, Ethiopia has "stretched forth her hand", and some of her other body parts, "to rule the world". Hehehehe. Whatcha' think?
I veer off topic, to say. I am so amused when I read that certain celebrities heritages are in question. Some so seemingly obvious as, Vin Diesel, Mariah Carey, Paula Abdul, Jennifer Beals, Nicole Ritchie, and even quasi-celebrity, Justin Guarini? (who uses his step-father's last name, and HEY, I like the way he sings). I can remember in the old days people swearing, that old time celebrities, like Dinah Shore, and Carol Channing, ( maybe even Elvis' Mother, Gladys), were in fact, "passing" for white. I don't know about Dinah Shore, or Elvis' Mother, Gladys, but later Carol Channing did admit, (or rather, simply state), that yes, her father was a very fair complexioned black man. In that day and age, I guess it was to their advantage to hide what nationality they were, considering the climate of the day, especially towards the whole black race in general, but now? Is it still that much of a stigmatisim, to be part black?
This does make one pause, and wonder. Why would Tiger Woods say anything resembling him not wanting to be "identified as black", as if it made some huge difference? All you had to do is look at him, and I can't imagine a soul even wondering about "what to identify" him as? Why did, or does Vin Diesel go to the point of saying he is "multi-cultural", as if there is something wrong with being categorised as a "black actor".? It hasn't seemed to hurt the careers of Denzel Washington, or Jamie Fox, or Morgan Freeman. Who, is any cuter than, "The Rock"? In my opinion, harldy no one!!! He is one fine Black/Samoan man, and a very entertaining actor, as well. I don't know. I think that maybe alot of Black people still wish that they could "get lighter" in their complexion. Sort of like Michael Jackson did. His condition, however was due to a condition, called "vertiligo", or sometimes known as, "leukoderma", where the pigmentation, or coloring of the skin, fades away. I've seen a couple of other Black people with this condition, and one of them had huge spots similar to "portwine stains", as they call those large purplish birthmarks some are born with, only these spots are absolutely devoid of any color, it looks something like how I would expect leprosy to look. I bet that Michael Jackson does have to wear some cosmetic cover, because I doubt that the vertiligo would leave your skin perfectly white. I've read that this condition is relatively rare however, so I guess "they" who wish this "losing pigmentation condition", on themselves will just have to stay black!! I think being black is GREAT! Since being Black is what GOD allowed me to be born as. I don't know any other way of life. Smile.
I don't think M.J. had enough money to "bleach" himself out to that degree, even if he would have wanted to, and tried, as some (ignorant, and just plain silly), people have suggested. Is that even possible? !!! Like what, you lay in milk for a really long time, out in the hot sun, or something? Naaaah.....,
Now, whether those are his very own biological "white looking" children? That is for him, GOD, and DNA, to know, and for us to speculate on if we so desire. I personally don't care. Let the gossipmongers have their fun talking about that, only they will have to answer for being so damned nosy in the judgement to come.
Man, you should be here and see how long it takes me to make these idiotic...., I mean interesting and thought provoking posts. I get distracted by whatever show is on the TV, I get up and go to the bathroom, I might get up and grab a snack, or a cup of coffee/green tea, maybe even a cold drink (of water), or a soda. I can start writing a post at midnight and not finish working on it until two or three o'clock in the morning!!! You may say, "NO WAY", I know, I know. They don't read as if they are that well thought out, do they? Yet, this is typical of me. I am just soooo slow like that, at stuff. Talk to you later. Ummm?
~~~~~~~~~~Pamela~~~~~~~~~~~
sat down to play at 12:19 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment










ABOUT ME



name: Pamela

age: 57

profile: 6071684

comments: SPEAK TO ME

Video code provided by MusicVideoCodes.com




MY Children's SITES

Gil's Design
LaShane's Creations
Cherokee's Book Group

Plush Cafe

COOL BLOGS

Cherokee's Blog
LaShane's Blog


ARCHIVES

~~~SCRIPTURES~~~

ISAIAH 55:6

JOHN 3:16

MATTHEW 22:14

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com